The Ministry of Education has taken measures to introduce a new subject stream to GCE A / L syllabus.
The project will be implemented as a pilot project from this October and by 2019 the project will cover the entire school year.
This stream is referred as the Professional Curriculum, which consists two parts as General Curriculum and Applied Curriculum.
General curriculum will cover nine main subjects and it is compulsory to complete this subject stream within the first six months of the academic year.
The General Curriculum subjects are as follows;
1. First Language (Sinhala or Tamil)
2. Applied English and Communication Skills Development
3. Aesthetics and related skills
4. Information and Communication Technology skills
5. Citizenship Education and related skills
6. Health and life skills necessary for social well-being
7. Entrepreneurship skills
8. Sports and other related activities
9. Career guidance programs
The intention of this Common Curriculum stream is to assure the personality and other basic skills necessary for the practical workings of the students.
Thereafter, students will be allowed to choose one subject from the Applied Curriculum stream which will be completed during the remaining 18 months of the academic year.
Applied Curriculum subjects are as follows;
1. Child Psychology and care
2. Health and Social Care
3. Physical Education ad Sports
4. Performing Arts
5. Event Management
6. Arts and Crafts
7. Interior Designing
8. Fashion Designing
9. Graphic Designing
10. Art and Designing
12. Applied Horticultural Studies
13. Livestock Product Studies
14. Food Processing Studies
15. Aquatic Resource Studies
16. Plantation Product Studies
17. Construction Studies
18. Automobile Studies
19. Electrical and Electronic Studies
20. Textile and Apparel Studies
21. Metal Fabrication Studies
22. Aluminum Fabrication Studies
23. Software Development
24. Web Development
25. Tourism and Hospitality
26. Environmental Studies